Monday, March 9, 2009

Amy (Orr) Conner

This is our most recent photo.


Well, let me start by saying, hello to all my former fellow classmates! I'm going to give this blogging thing a shot, but while reading, please keep in mind that I'm new to this whole thing. That being said, here we go.

For starters, I didn't waste any time. Exactly three days after our high school graduation I moved back to Southeast Kansas, the same area that I had originally came from when we moved to Missouri in the middle of my second grade year. In June of 1998, I enrolled at Fort Scott Community College, the local two-year college. At that time I began a summer work-study position in the college counseling office, and also worked part-time in the college cafeteria.


In August of 1998, I continued to work both jobs, and started my college courses. This continued for over a year, at which time I also began working part-time at a local convenience store, and was eventually promoted up to store manager. During all this, I came to the decision that I had too much going on, so I decided to keep my manager job, and dropped my college courses and work-study positions. I decided in 2000, that I would go back to college and finish my Associate's Degree, but by then I was supposedly making too much money, and no longer qualified for financial aid. Therefore, I never completed my degree, I'm one semester shy of obtaining my Associate's Degree, but I don't regret my decision, as I'm doing exactly what I always planned on doing anyway, thanks to my two years in the Graphic Arts & Printing program at the Kirksville Area Technical Center that I took my Junior & Senior year of high school.


In April of 2000, I was hired on at Ward/Kraft, Inc., a local family owned commercial printing company. I started out in their proofing department, but within two years I had been promoted to a full-time graphic artist. I love my job, it is exactly what I had always planned on doing, and I can't imagine doing anything else.


During my time at Fort Scott Community College, I met James Conner, the man I would eventually end up marrying. In June of 1998, we started out as good friends that had a lot of the same classes, and by January of 2000, we had gradually eased into dating. We eventually married on October 12, 2002. Everyone who knows me knows that I hate dressing up for any reason, therefore, we had a very casual wedding that consisted of immediate family only, and everyone wore jeans. Probably not what most people would picture as a wedding, but it suited us to perfection.


In March of 2004, we bought a house together. It is a four-bedroom manufactured home that sets on five acres. Its location moved us from being inside the Fort Scott city limits to a town by the name of Redfield. It is in the country, approximately thirteen miles from where we work. Our house tends to be the summer hangout for most of my surrounding family as we have an above ground swimming pool that is really nice during those hot summer months.


Like another classmate, we have tried for over seven years to start a family, and have never had any success. However, during a trying time in our lives (namely my seventeen year old sister's automobile accident in October, that happened outside of Lancaster), I gave up worrying about why it wasn't happening for us, obviously, I was needed for other things at that time. To my ultimate surprise, we learned about the middle of November that we were finally expecting. My mother never had any trouble with her pregnancies, so dumb me I figured I wouldn't have much trouble either. Boy was I wrong! Almost from the beginning, our troubles began: bleeding/spotting (about ten weeks worth), Rh factor issues, placenta previa, and morning sickness (boy would I like to meet the idiot that coined that term) that lasted up to the start of the fifth month, that's just what I know about to date, so hopefully, that is all the trouble we'll have. So lucky me, I got to go to the doctor every two weeks until just this last month, where I finally got on a four-five week schedule. As of the moment, we are currently twenty-two weeks along. We are due on July 13, 2009. We found out last month that we are having a little boy, and we have decided to name him Dakota James. Anyone that is interested in following our changes/progress may do so by checking out the baby's page at: www.babyhomepages.net/babyconner


That is pretty much it for me. We live a pretty dull and boring life. I try to get back up that way at least a couple times a year, just to catch up with people I haven't seen in a while and visit with my family. If I happen to see you, I'll be sure to say hello. Until next time, I sincerely wish you all the best!

4 comments:

Corin said...

Congratulations on the baby. Can't wait to see pictures of him. You know, on the outside. Thanks for posting.

Unknown said...

Glad to see you made it over here Amy! Congrats again on the baby boy.

Andrea Frederick said...

Ahhh...Amy, thanks for post. I am amazed by your patience in the baby making dept....but God always has a plan. Simple lives are the best, aren't they? We try to stay simple. Enjoyed the update!

Hillary said...

Thanks for sharing Amy. I have been following your baby progress on your blog - it's very interesting. It's amazing how God's plan isn't always our plan! Good luck!